From burning more calories and slowing down aging to building self-confidence and making you smarter, there’s more to gain from swimming than what your class has already taught you. And when you can use the best fitness tracker for swimming to monitor pool activities, working out in water becomes more fan than jogging, brisk walking, or running.
But there’s a problem:
While dozens of fitness trackers out there have good ratings, they aren’t necessarily the best pool-proof wearables to buy. If someone told you to make a purchase simply because a smart tracking device has good rating, that’s a red flag.
To be brutally honest with you, some fitness trackers are useless. Btu marketers want you to think that any fitness tracker can monitor the most significant data – distance, stroke count, lengths, or calories burned. And they suck, big time!
Yet, that’s as close to a practical joke as it can possibly get.
So, does this mean there isn’t a good waterproof watch for swim tracking?
Well, not exactly.
Even in a wide market where pitching sales has taken more roots than customers awareness campaigns, we still have quality smart trackers that can monitor your swimming right. And that’s why we have written this guide for you.
Our Top 3 Picks of the top activity trackers for swimming
1) Pebble may have vanished. But FitBit Ionic is the exact same version of the smartwatch in a new form. This smartwatch lets you quantify your fitness metrics on the go, thus giving you the motivation you need to exercise even the more. FitBit Ionic is a perfect alternative to Apple Watch, and probably the best option for people who can’t pay earth that Apple watch demands.
2) Whether you are a serious athlete or a lover of the pool, Garmin vívoactive 3 with GPS tracker can help you track your fitness metrics with ease. Known for its long battery life, good waterproof depth, and almost accurate tracking, Garmin vívoactive 3 with GPS remains the grab-and-go smartwatch that you
3) Apple Watch Series 3 is perhaps the most praised smartwatch on the market. Although it costs an arm and a leg, let’s agree that it’s worth the asking price. The Apple Watch Series 3 is the one watch that will track most of your fitness activities on the go. It stands out because of its design as well as outstanding connectivity.
What’s the Best Fitness Tracker for Swimming?
1. FitBit Ionic Smartwatch
- Start dynamic personalized workouts on your wrist with step-by-step coaching
- Store and play 300+ songs, plus download playlists from Pandora
- Use built-in GPS/GLONASS to track pace, distance & routes and get Pure Pulse continuous heart rate tracking & real-time zones
- Package includes both large and small size bands for the perfect, comfortable fit for all-day & all-night wear
- Access your favorite apps for sports, weather & more and make payments on the go with a built-in NFC chip
You probably already know that Pebble is no more. But, FitBit blended Pebble’s look and feel to Ionic smartwatch. The Ionic is known as the company’s first smartwatch, and it is a suitable for activities such as swimming, gym and running. A lot of work has been done to keep this watch light and thin, so it’s going to be easy on your wrist.
In terms of design, the Ionic smartwatch features a slanted aluminum case built by a nano-molding technique. The nano-molding is common with smartphones, not wearable tech. FitBit is likely the first fitness-tech company to implement this technique. Also, you will notice the angular design, which pretty much resembles FitBit Blaze.
Anyone can use this wearable to coach themselves, thanks to the built-in continuous heart rate and GPS. In addition, the long lasting battery life, which can last up to 5 days, makes it the best for all-day fitness tracking.
This smartwatch is designed to last, so it should sustain you for as long as possible. Besides allowing you to track your activities in the swimming pool, FitBit Ionic also allows you to store and play 300 plus songs that you can listen whenever you like.
You also have access to payments and popular apps right on your wrist.
Overall, FitBit Ionic not only makes exercising fun, but also lets you in on special workout metrics that you wouldn’t have had otherwise.
2. Garmin vívoactive 3 GPS Smartwatch
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution lets you pay for purchases with your watch (available for supported cards from participating banks)
- Personalize your watch with thousands of free watch faces, apps and widgets from our Connect IQ store
- More than 15 preloaded GPS and indoor sports apps, including yoga, running, swimming and more. Case material : Fiber-reinforced polymer with stainless steel rear cover
- Monitor your fitness level with VO2 max and fitness made estimates, plus keep an eye on how you handle stress (see garmin.com/ataccuracy). Memory/History: 7 timed activities, 14 days of activity tracking data
- Get connected features such as smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, LiveTrack and more when paired with a compatible smartphone
The Garmin vívoactive smartwatch is a brilliant multi-sport tracker, and an all day heart rate monitor. It is lightweight and slim, and it has a diameter of 1.75 inches (that’s about a little less than half an inch thick).
This smartwatch has a weight of 43 grams. So much lightweight, in fact, you won’t even notice you have it on. It features only one button and has a water resistance capability of up to 5 ATMs.
The gorilla 3 lens, the 1.2 inch color 240 X 240 pixel LCD touchscreen, and the polymer case made of stainless steel bezel makes the watch look more like a Fenix 5 than a member of the Vivo fitness bands.
It doesn’t surprise me that the vívoactive 3 doesn’t fit well sometimes. After all, this band is synonymous (with high-end sports devices as it is with GPS systems).
Try this; ask any runner you know to cite one of Garmin’s Fortuner as their favorite gadget. I am so sure that they will point back at the vívoactive 3.
And do you know what’s great? Garmin hasn’t stopped venturing into more consumer-focused space. There are devices in the Vivomove, Vivofit and Vivosmart that may aim at getting those who like out.
3. FitBit Flex 2
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes. LED display lights up to show progress toward your daily goal
- Ultra-thin, removable tracker hides in bands, pendants and bangles
- Swim-proof for tracking swimming, life-proof for wear in the ocean, shower, pool and beyond
- SmartTrack automatically recognizes select workouts and records them to your Fitbit app
- Get call and text notifications on your wrist with unique vibration patterns and color-coded LED lights
FitBit Flex 2 has been dubbed a fitness tracker for casual athletes a couple of times. Yet, I think that’s some kind of a practical joke, especially given that the watch really stands out.
With all the bells and whistles that many Smartwatches on the market can only dream of, Flex 2 remains the grab-and-go wearable for everyone who’s looking for an alternative to Ionic Smartwatch.
FitBit Flex 2 is slim, lightweight, and beautiful. However, it falls flat when we factor in display, because it doesn’t have a LED screen. But, because you can connect it to the FitBit app on your smartphone, you shouldn’t worry too nearly as much about why it doesn’t have a watch face, in the first place.
However, if it were necessary that you get a FitBit watch with a watch face, the Ionic Smartwatch would still be the best option here. You can as well get fitbit for kids if you want to track activities of your children.
What makes FitBit Flex 2 suitable for swimming is the pool-proof depth. It’s not like the likes of LESTCOM and LetuFit, whose waterproof levels aren’t even known. Flex 2 goes as deep as 30 meters, making it a good choice for swimmers who love to spend a lot of time in water.
Given the depth, you could also use it for deep sea diving. It will take the hit and come out strong.
LESTCOM fitness tracker doesn’t belong in the FitBit line of products. But if you were to compare it with Flex 2, the latter doesn’t really do well in terms of battery life. Still, it can function well for five days without a single charge.
Compared to Ionic, though, the battery life is not good enough, especially because Flex 2 does not have a watch face that drains power. Still, I think the battery life of this smartwatch is at its best average.
4. Apple Watch Series 3 42mm Smartwatch
- Aluminium chassis with Ion-X Glass, 1.5" 390X312 1000-Nit display
- Activity and heart rate monitoring, changeable faces with widgets
- Siri integration,Water-resistant to 164', displays notifications and runs apps
- Integrated GPS
- Bluetooth 4.2, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
The Apple Watch Series 3 comes in a great style. The case of the smartwatch is gold. And, it is anodized with aluminum chassis. The pink band helps to support the watch on your wrist.
Most of you would like to know how it connects with your phone. Well, it simply connects with your phone via Bluetooth 4.2. Once you have connected the app with your phone, you can see all the apps and notifications on the screen.
It can also connect to the internet through 802.11b/g/n WiFi. Its internal battery can last for up to 18 hours, but this is applicable only on normal use.
This awesome smartwatch comes in a water resistant casing, so it is perfect for swimming. To add to this, on the underside you will see a heart rate monitor.
The apple watch series 3 runs the new WatchOS 4, a more significant and useful upgrade. A few months ago, the company managed to add a standalone GPS, a highly helpful feature that helps a user to get accurate maps for runs.
If you want a watch that matches with your iPhone, a watch that is specifically made for users who are looking for the next generation of connectivity, this is simple the right choice for you.
5. FitBit Blaze Smart Fitness Watch
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
Maybe FitBit Blaze Smart Fitness Watch is something we will talk about forever. It’s always blazing with new hot features, not to mention that it is waterproof as well as affordable. Blaze wasn’t the first real smartwatch to be designed by the company, but at most it acts as both as smartwatch and a fitness tracker.
Is FitBit Blaze Waterproof?
FitBit Blaze is not waterproof. FitBit itself confirms that the device isn’t waterproof, but water-resistant. You can use this fitness tracker to swim, because it is water-resistant by up to a certain depth, usually 30 meters. However, how long the Blaze can stand against water is something FitBit hasn’t said anything about so far.
FitBit Pay is one of the coolest features of this smartwatch. With pay, you do not have to worry about bringing your phone with you to buy something during or after workout. All you have to do is feed your credit card data to the smartwatch, and then use it to make payments every time you need to purchase anything.
Besides letting make payments where necessary, FitBit Blaze also tracks most of your activities just like other activity trackers for swimming, and then it display the results on the screen. The watch can track your total steps and give an estimate of the total amount of calories burned during a workout session.
6. Garmin Forerunner 235
- GPS Running Watch with Wrist-based Heart Rate and display type is sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel(MIP)
- Customize Your Watch and Your Training, Larger Screen - a 44% Larger Screen than the 225 but the Same Physical Size
- Audio Prompts - Receive Audio Prompts from Your Connected Smartphone That Include Laps and Lap Times. Smartwatch Mode: Up to 9 days. GPS mode: Up to 11 hours
- Smart Notifications - See Incoming Email, Text Messages, Call Alerts, Calendar Reminders and More from Your Compatible Smartphone
- Battery Life 11 Hours Training, 9 Days Watch, Activity Tracking, Notifications + Heart Rate. Refer user manual below.
In the today’s world, running watches are expected to be more than just pace and distance trackers. Most of the people who have this watch use it to coach themselves on how to train smarter and improve their train forms.
One of the Smartwatches that you simply can’t live without is the Garmin Forerunner 235. It is important to keep in mind that this fitness tracker is not only designed to track hardcore running activities, but it is also good for tracking daily activities.
Generally, Garmin Forerunner 235 is a GPS running product with a wrist based heart rate monitor. It has a long battery; this means you can train for long hours.
This watch take everything that is good from its predecessor Forerunner 255, it does this by combining and packaging all the new features into a small light package.
When it comes to the pricing point, the bitter truth is that the Garmin Forerunner isn’t cheap. But if you are a swimmer, it might be the best option, especially if you do not have an alternative.
Another thing that you will love about this fitness tracker is the notification system. The notification system lets you see call alerts, incoming emails, text messages from friends and much more.
7. FitBit Versa
- Track your all-day activity, 24/7 heart rate, & sleep stages -- all with a 4+ day battery life (varies with use and other factors)
- Take your favorite music phone-free by storing 300+ songs or downloading stations from Pandora or playlists from Deezer
- Use 15+ exercise modes like Run or Swim (Fitbit Versa is water-resistant to 50 meters) to record workouts and connect to smartphone GPS for more precise real-time pace & distance
- Easily fit in workouts with personalized on-screen coaching that play on your wrist and coach you through each move
- Access your favorite apps for sports, weather & more and get call, calendar, text, and app alerts. Send quick replies to messages (Android only)
FitBit Versa isn’t as common as Ionic and Blaze. But, it’s dubbed the most pocket-friendly alternative to Apple Smartwatch. Unlike Blaze, it looks quite sizeable, and not a fitness watch that would add extra weight than necessary on your wrist.
Versa is the only FitBit for swimming on our list that features exercise modes. You get more than a dozen of them, including Run and Swim, allowing you to record workout and quantify your metrics with ease.
What we love about this smartwatch is its size. It’s smaller than all the FitBit fitness trackers on this list. Of course, that means you won’t have a hard time using it. It means you do not have to worry about extra weight, as there is none for your wrist to handle.
The whole point of including Verse in the list is the fact that it is waterproof, hence suitable for swimming. The depth is quite good, up to 50 meters, which is far much better than all the three FitBits mentioned above.
While Ionic, the Blaze, and Flex 2 are good for swimming, anyone would definitely fall off a cliff for Versa because of the 20 meters extra depth. But that wholly depends on your personal interest, anyway.
8. Garmin Forerunner 735XT
- Form factor - the most lightweight multisport-capable watch ever from Garmin in an attractive, traditional watch shape, with soft, comfortable silicone bands
- Built-in activities - data support for: running, cycling, swimming, multisport, hiking, xc skiing, strength, paddle sports and cardio
- 24/7 Heart rate monitoring - Elevate Wrist Heart technology gives you heart rate all day and night -no additional strap required.
- Connected Features - automatic uploads to Garmin Connect, Live Tracking, audio prompts, music controls, smart notifications and social media sharing. Dimensions & Weight: 44.5 x 44.5 x 11.9 mm & 40.2 g
- Smart notifications - get any notification from your compatible smartphone all with vibration so you don't miss a thing
If you are looking for a lightweight and sizeable watch, you should consider trying the Garmin Forerunner 735XT. This fitness tracker measures 44.5 X 44.5 X 11.9 mm and a weight of 40.2 g.
This lightweight multisport watch comes in a traditional attractive shape with soft and comfortable bands made of silicone. It not only supports data from swimming but also hiking, XC skiing, cardio, strength, multisport running and cycling.
With the help of Garmin Forerunner 735XT, you can monitor your heart rate all day and night. A number of thing that you will love about this fitness tracker include good smartwatch functionality, accurate GPS, and long life battery.
As good as it is, it is important to note that a few things that make this watch fall flat. First, the heart rate monitor is something we really do appreciate. However, it doesn’t guarantee accurate results, not even one bit. Second, this fitness tracker has the sort of a plastic feel that feels so off.
Despite the few drawbacks, Garmin Forerunner 735XT is a perfect device for serious swimmers. Also, there is a notification system, which gives you alerts every now and then.