Did you know that the best upright exercise bikes are good for cardiovascular workouts? They are perfect addition to an existing home gym, and they are very easy to use. Upright exercise bikes alone are good enough training equipment, so you don’t have to worry about whether to buy one if you don’t have a home gym yet.
The challenge comes in when you have to choose one upright exercise bike from among the dozens of options out there. To save you time and headache, we wrote this guide to help you choose the best upright workout bicycle that can give you value for your money.
In Summary: Our Top 3 Picks Of the Best Upright Cycles
1) If you are looking for a simple upright exercise bike, we recommend trying Marcy Upright Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-708. It is good enough for small spaces, and it can it into a small corner of your living room quite well. It is lightweight, weighing only 43 pounds. And it is more comfortable than many seats on the market.
2) Exerpeutic GOLD 500 XLS is upright exercise bike made of 20% more steel, and that’s why it holds up a bigger weight capacity of 400lbs. That’s about 100 lbs more than many exercise bikes on the market can hold. Also, this exercise bike is suitable for short as well as tall trainees.
3) If you are looking for an upright exercise bike that doesn’t take up space, it would be best to try Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike. The pulse rate monitor attached to the bike lets you know your pulse rate on the fly, except the data isn’t always as reliable as you’d expect.
In Reviews: Best Upright Exercise Bikes
1. Marcy Upright Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-708
- PREMIUM STEEL CONSTRUCTION - This stationary upright bike features a premium frame of 14-gauge steel tubing, finished with powder coating that combines design and performance. It boasts both functionality and durability.
- SMOOTH MAGNETIC RESISTANCE SYSTEM -Designed for fitness enthusiasts of all skill-levels and comes with a magnetic resistance mechanism with 8 levels of difficulty. Tension knob simulates different terrains to customize routines according to fitness level.
- ULTRA-FUNCTIONAL CONSOLE - The ME-708 Upright Exercise Bike has a state-of-the-art LCD screen that acts as an odometer and displays time, speed, distance, and calories burned in extra-large numbers for great readability.
- ADJUSTABLE SEAT - The seat can be adjusted to accommodate users of different body sizes, improving form during exercise and allowing your body to conform precisely to the equipment, giving your workouts the maximum effect on your targeted areas.
- COUNTERBALANCED PEDALS - Pedals are designed to provide maximal foot support while giving you ultimate control. The ergonomic designs facilitate efficient workouts and are equipped with adjustable foot straps to create the perfect fit for your own feet.
Marcy Upright Exercise Bike doesn’t have many premium features, but what’s available is more than enough for home use. It’s a suitable option for small space, a perfect choice for you if you do not have enough room in your workout area. This bike replaces your morning running, and lets you stay in shape for as long as you take advantage of it.
Weighing only 43 pounds, Marcy Upright Exercise Bike is a lightweight exercise bike that you can move from one spot to another easily. Add in the transport wheels that make motion a breeze, and what you have is a portable bike. The compact design of this bike means it can fit quite well in small rooms. So, if you are limited on space, Marcy Upright Exercise Bike is the thing for you.
You are going to be seating on this bike for a very long time. So the seat has been oversized to provide your butt and overall body with the comfort that it deserves. Over time, however, the seat may get a little uncomfortable. The best way to get around this would be to use padded bike shorts or gel seat covers.
This bike uses a quite belt drive, which requires very low maintenance. The belt and the flywheel are covered for protection from dirt and sweat.
2. Exerpeutic GOLD 500 XLS Foldable Upright Bike, 400 lbs
- Heavy Duty and High Durability steel frame construction with up to 400 lbs weight capacity. 20% more steel than the Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike for more maximum performance.
- An 8 level Magnetic Tension control system for an easier or more challenging workout.
- Folds to 1/2 the size, so it is uniquely compact; Folded Dimensions: 26.4" L X 24.8" W X 57.5" H
- Large comfortable seat cushion for people of any size, and easily adjustable to fit 5'1" to 6'5" user heights
- An easy to read large computer LCD display that indicates calories burned, distance, time, speed, scan, pulse and odometer. Please refer user manual attached below for instructions and troubleshooting steps.
Because it is made of 20% more steel than older models, Exerpeutic GOLD Foldable Upright Bike can hold up a larger weight capacity than its predecessors do. The average weight supported by this bike is 400 lbs. Also, the height is adjustable to a higher degree. In fact, this exercise bike can accommodate anyone with a height between 5 feet 1 inches and 6 feet 5 inches.
Exerpeutic GOLD 500 XLS features a monitor with a larger display. With the help of this monitor, you can get your fitness stats on the fly. The purpose of the display is to show you a number of fitness metrics. These include distance cycled, total time spent cycling, speed, odometer, pulse, and the total amount of calories burned in the process.
Exerpeutic GOLD 500 XLS doesn’t have levers. That means you cannot use the bike on an uneven surface. The only way to keep it from rocking side to side is to make sure you put it on a properly leveled surface. When it comes to maintenance, there isn’t a lot to do. In fact, the only maintenance requirement is to tighten the bolts in the event that they loosen up.
Unlike Marcy Upright Exercise Bike, Exerpeutic GOLD 500 XLS uses a v-belt drive for a good grip on the pedals and flywheel. The grip is so sturdy, in fact, that you won’t experience slipping at any level of the bike’s resistance.
3. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse
- WEIGHT CAPACITY: Up to 300 lbs. Intended to be used on the hard flat floor.
- SEATING COMFORT: Large seat cushion for people of any size, easily adjustable to fit anywhere from 5'3 inch to 6'1 inch users. HEART RATE: Hand Pulse Monitor
- Please tighten the Screws/Bolts to avoid noise during pedaling;Fitness Goal:Increase Cardio, Lose Weight. The bike will fold to at least ½ the size as when fully assembled, so it is uniquely compact
- COMPACT DESIGN: Folds for storage and can moved with the included transportation wheels
- TENSION RESISTANCE: An 8 level Magnetic Tension control system, allows the user to adjust the tension level for an easier or more difficult workout. Refer to the manual for troubleshooting steps of Tension system malfunctioning.
Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike is heavier than the likes of Sunny Recumbent foldable bikes. It weighs 43 lbs. Measuring only 46 inches by 31 inches by 19 inches, this stuff doesn’t take up a lot of space in your living room or workout area. In fact, if you are limited on space, we recommend that you try the Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse.
LCD display is one of the popular features of Exerpeutic exercise bikes. So, it’s no surprise that the folding magnetic bike with pulse has it. The display lets you track your workout progress on the fly. You can see distance cycled, average speed, time taken, as well as heart rate.
Not you or your neighbor loves noise, because even the noise of an exercise bike can be perturbing. Therefore, this bike has been designed to be as noiseless as you would want it. Because of the quiet operation, you can ride the bike while listening to music or watching TV.
It is not a bad idea to measure your pulse rate when riding an exercise bike. That is why Exerpeutic Magnetic Upright Bike comes with dual pulse rate sensors that let you detect your pulse rate with ease. The only problem is you cannot fully rely on the pulse rate data, as sometimes the results aren’t always accurate.
4. Schwinn 170 Upright Bike (MY17)
- Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with the Schwinn Trainer App and other apps for fitness tracking
- Sync with free downloadable RideSocial App and see the world as you virtually ride alongside friends in real time
- 29 programs: 12 profile, 9 heart rate control, 4 custom, 2 fitness test, 1 quick start
- 25 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- High speed, high inertia drive system with a perimeter weighted flywheel for easy start up and smooth, consistent workouts
Hats off! Schwinn 170 Upright Bike doesn’t fall short of premium features that you’d want for an upright exercise bike. It comes with 29 preset workout programs and supports online data tracking. Add the ability to customize your fitness routine and nine hear rate programs, and what you end up with is a grab-and-go fitness device that’s hard not to love.
One of the most interesting features of the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike is the sound system. The system itself features high quality, powerful speakers, so high quality sound is definitely a guarantee. Not every person will find this feature relevant for an upright exercise bike, but it is still relevant anyway.
Schwinn 170 Upright Bike stands out because it of the present workouts. You get 29workout routines and support, and up to 25 resistance levels. Of all the pre-set programs, 9 are controlled by your heart’s rate. What’s more, there are also good programs specifically for beginners as well as advanced trainees.
The computer display of this exercise bike isn’t that big. And it is quite basic. As simple as it is, though, it does provide 13 forms of workout data. In addition to the 13 types of data, you get four user profiles.
5. Schwinn MY16 130 Upright Exercise Bike
- Track time, distance and calorie goals and transfer metrics via USB. Media shelf for easy viewing of your device or reading material
- Dual track two LCD screen System offers increased visibility to programs and goal tracking
- 20 levels of computer controlled resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- 22 preset exercise programs (9 profile; 8 heart rate control; 2 Custom user defined; 2 fitness test; 1 quick start and additional features
- Charging USB port, speakers, adjustable three speed fan, media shelf.Water bottle holder
When you don’t have a thousand bucks to burn and breaking the bank isn’t a necessary evil, you can invest in a low-priced high quality exercise bike right away. We recommend Schwinn MY16 130 Upright Exercise Bike because it is affordable with good features. It is as basic as you think it gets. Still, it offers 20 resistance levels, 22 preset workouts, and 9 heart rate controlled exercises.
Schwinn MY16 130 wouldn’t be complete without a display monitor. And it is important in so many different ways. The monitor has two fitness test programs that let you quantify your fitness improvements, user profiles for personal information, 9 profile program, and heart rate software solutions with customizable settings. The computer system also displays heart rate, calories burned, distance covered, workout intensity, and user’s goals and achievements.
It would be great if Schwinn MY16 130 had a heart rate monitor, except it doesn’t. However the device has sensors on the handlebars, which lets you track your pulse easily. If this feature isn’t necessary for you, you have nothing to worry about. If it is important, then you should consider other options on our list.
Setting up this bike is pretty much straightforward. Because it comes with an illustrated assembly manual, it should be easy for you to put all the parts together in less than an hour, even if you have never seen an upright exercise bike before.
6. Nautilus U614 Upright Bike
- Goal Track capability enables users to set individual exercise goals
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
- DualTrack LCD displays.Maximum User Weight 300 lbs (136 kg)
- In-console speakers with an MP3 input port
- Media shelf, USB media charging and adjustable fan
Nautilus seems to have not hit the market’s limelight pretty well just yet. But their Nautilus U614 Upright Bike is unquestionably one of the most feature dense upright exercise bikes on our list. It is a good equipment for home, a well-built bike with a good drive system. You will love the flywheel because it delivers both smooth and quiet working, giving you a good riding experience on the go.
Like Schwinn MY16 130, Nautilus U614 Upright Bike has an LCD display that lets you see all your fitness stats on the fly. The workout information displayed by this monitor include heart rate zone, distance covered, total time spent, speed of riding, revolutions per minutes, hear rate, and calories burned.
For the price, Nautilus U614 Upright Bike has all the bells and whistles that you would look for in a good upright workout bike. One issue with this bike is that it does not have a heart rate monitor. Still, you can monitor your pulse rate with the help of hand grip sensor, but keep in mind that the results aren’t always accurate.
Nautilus U614 Upright Bike is the only upright exercise bike on our list that comes with 5 different workout categories. These are Heart Rate Control, Challenges, Mountains, Fun Rides, and Fitness Test.
7. Marcy Foldable Exercise Bike with Adjustable Resistance for Cardio Workout and Strength Training NS-652
- EXCELLENT CARDIO WORKOUT - The fat-blasting cardio offered by this exercise device is significant, as each pedal targets the quads, hamstrings, and glutes. Not only does it burn fat, but it also strengthens the leg's muscles, giving you well-toned legs
- ADJUSTABLE RESISTANCE - This bicycle has a manually adjustable resistance that offers various degrees of exercises. With eight preset levels of magnetic resistance control, you can set to simulate various types of workouts depending on the resistance.
- FOLDABLE - The exercise utility is designed to fold compactly with its advanced frame design that allows for easier storage and portability as it folds up, granting you more space at home. It also has rubberized foot based to prevent scratching and damage
- EASY SCREEN INTERFACE -This unit comes with a LCD panel that shows different variables related to your workout - speed, distance, time, and calories burned. The interface is user-friendly, especially planning workout routines and monitoring your progress
- HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION - Made of 14 gauge, high-quality frame which boasts durability and surface resiliency, this bike has counterweighted pedals with adjustable foot straps and an adjustable foam padded seat for hassle-free cycling
Not every fitness aficionado is lucky enough to secure a larger workout space. And thank goodness Marcy Foldable Exercise bike is perfect enough for folks who are looking for fitness bikes that they can use and fold away for storage soon after workout. What’s more, this product has a good tradeoff between quality and price.
Although this upright exercise bike comes with a display console, the system is quite basic. The biggest drawback with this console is that it doesn’t allow you access to preset workouts. Also, you won’t be able to perform any fitness test or synch your workout data to your computer or mobile phone.
Marcy Foldable Exercise bike doesn’t take long to assemble. The package comes with everything you need to put the system together in the shortest amount of time possible. In fact, it should take you less than 45 minutes to assemble the bike. It takes even less time if you can get a helping hand from a friend or a family member.
This bike has a very basic computer console. You are able to see distance covered after riding, speed, total time spent, and calories burned. This bike does not have a heart rate monitor, so you won’t be able to track the intensity of your workout or tell of your body is really burning fat.
8. ProGear 100S Exercise Bike/Indoor Training Cycle
- Up to 250 lbs user weight capacity. Chain Driven to simulate road bike exercise
- Heart Pulse sensors will enable you to stay within your personal heart rate zone. LCD computer with readouts of calories burned, distance, time, speed, pulse and scan
- 4 way seat adjustment. The cushioned ergonomic seat will adjust forward/backward and up/down
- Easy Dial tension adjustment for a more progressive and challenging workout. Top down emergency brake
- Cast iron inertia Driven flywheel with a chrome rim weighs 22 lbs and is smooth and consistent when pedaling
ProGear 100S Exercise Bike is quite basic. It suits beginners who want to start riding indoor bikes as an alternative workout to running, brisk walking, or outdoor cycling. Although the model is basic, it is still solid enough for indoor cycling. Note that you can ride this bike either when seated or when in a standing position.
Some people assume that this bike is not stable because it is lighter and compact. In real sense, though, the Pro Gear 100S Exercise Bike features steel frame and stabilizer bars that keep it sturdy and steady during. The seat and handlebars may wobble, but the shaking is at a minimum.
The seat of this bike is has a wider surface and a good padding, making the bike more comfortable to use for an upright workout. This seat is not only 4-way adjustable, but also it can accommodate users of heights between 5 feet 1 inch and 6 feet 2 inches. To adjust the seat, simply turn and pull the large knob.
9. Best Choice Products Folding Adjustable Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike Fitness Upgraded Machine
- Constructed of a sturdy steel frame, this exercise bike features a padded seat and handle bars for comfort during a workout
- Track your progress with the display screen that shows the time, speed, distance, and calories burned
- The smooth 8-level magnetic resistance can easily be adjusted by turning the knob in the middle of the bike
- Exercise bike can be set into 3 positions that provide different ways to exercise
- Overall Dimensions: 26"(L) x 21"(W) x 50"(H); Weight capacity: 220 lbs.
Best Choice Foldable Exercise Bike is low-priced. But it doesn’t have the bells and whistles like in many advanced upright exercise bikes. Still, it is a good option for people on budget, and the best exercise equipment for people who are just getting started with upright exercise bikes. This upright foldable fitness bikes does not have a bottle holder, and no preset workout programs.
The frame of this exercise bike is made of lightweight, durable steel, which helps to hold the bike in position. Therefore, you can exercise for hours without worrying about falling off the bicycle. This bike isn’t good for uneven floor. If your floor is not leveled, use a rubber exercise mat to stabilize the bike.
10. Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike
- ERGONOMIC SEATING: This bike ergonomically designed for optimum comfort and ease. It has a road bike-style saddle can be adjusted both vertically and horizontally.
- ADJUSTABLE: Adjustable seat offers user comfort and stability (inseam height 27 - 33in). Simply twist the knob to add or remove resistance while the brake allows users to stop the flywheel in seconds
- TRACK YOUR FITNESS: Keep track of your performance and monitor your progress. The LCD monitor tracks your time, speed, distance and calories burned.
- FLYWHEEL AND DRIVE: The 22 lbs flywheel offers high inertia and resistance allowing you to have precise control over your riding session. Chain drive mechanism provides a smooth and sturdy ride.
- COMFORT: Rubber foam paddle handle bars extend the duration of your workout. Caged pedals will prevent feet slip and give more support while pedaling. Max weight 220Ibs.
Sunny Health & Fitness Indoor Exercise Bike is for anyone who wants to improve their level of fitness or get into shape. It is an affordable yet high quality bike from a brand that has built a name for itself over the years. Of course, there are fancier models than this one, but it is the best pick for people that want a more reliable, comfortable, and sturdy upright indoor exercise bike.
One of the things that you will love about this upright exercise bicycle is the range of variable resistance levels. The multiple resistance levels lets you increase or reduce the intensity of your workout as you deem fit. To control resistance levels, use the access knob located below the handlebars.
We love Sunny Health & Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike because it has a heavy duty flywheel that weighs 40 lbs. The flywheel adds more weight to the bike, making it a little heavier. But the advantage is that you get a smoother, realistic, and exceptional riding experience all through your workout session.
A Buyer’s Guide
Not all upright exercise bikes have computer displays. If you intend to track your fitness metrics during workout, consider an exercise bike with a computer console. The console lets you in on workout data like speed, distance, calories burned, and more.
An upright exercise bike with adjustable seat and handlebars is better than those that aren’t adjustable. Being able to adjust the bike means it can accommodate trainees of various heights.
Heart Rate Monitor
Not all upright bikes come with a heart rate monitor. If this is a must-have feature, then make sure to check that the device can track your heart rate. At the end of the day, you want this feature included because it is what helps you to determine the intensity of your workout.
There are many more upright exercise bikes out there, but we feel these are the top ones. It is important to keep in mind that no upright exercise bike on our list is made equal. Every product has different features, strengths, as well as limitations depending on the brand.