FitBit has been the center of attention in the fitness wearable industry for at least the last decade. The company still holds an upper hand for designing world-class Smartwatches, which can track almost any activity that you can imagine. For fitness aficionados, FitBit has the global intelligence to design the world’s best activity trackers with heart rate monitors. For swimmers, FitBit for swimming is the be all and end all smartwatch that best tracks and measures laps in the pool.
Since FitBit got into the limelight, some people created a self-destructive illusion that any fitness watch from the brand is a good fit for swimming. Unfortunately, not all fitness trackers in the FitBit series are pool-proof. It’s time to think differently and choose the right product that you can use in the water.
The goal of this guide is to help you choose a good FitBit activity tracker for swimming, without wasting too much of your precious time on research. Let’s dive straight in.
In Reviews: What’s the Best FitBit to Use for Swimming?
1. FitBit Ionic Smartwatch
- Start dynamic personalized workouts on your wrist with step-by-step coaching
- Store and play 300+ songs or download stations from Pandora or playlists from Deezer. Syncing range - Up to 6.1 metres (20 feet). Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- Use built-in GPS/GLONASS to track pace, distance & routes and get Pure Pulse continuous heart rate tracking & real-time zones
- Access your favorite apps for sports, weather & more and make payments on the go with a built-in NFC chip
- Track runs, swims (Fitbit Ionic is water-resistant to 50 meters), rides, workouts, all day activity and sleep with 4+ day battery life (varies with use & other factors)
Pebble used to be the staple smartwatch for many people. But, the device existed only until FitBit acquired the company in late 2016. Today, FitBit Ionic Smartwatch is the new Pebble, and the very first device in the FitBit’s smartwatch territory.
Ionic is said to be competing head-to-head with Apple Smartwatch. And while it doesn’t match what Tim Cook and company made, it does come somewhere close. Costing more than $100 less, Ionic smartwatch couldn’t be more of a better alternative to Apple Watch.
That’s so much praise for FitBit Ionic Smartwatch. But is this wristwatch spending a dime on?
A Waterproof Smartwatch
The Ionic wouldn’t be worth the money if it weren’t waterproof. After all, it doesn’t add up when a smart fitness watch that’s said to track almost anything right out of the box can’t track your water activities. Because Ionic is waterproof, it should meet your swimming needs, regardless of how often you swim with it.
Unlike many Smartwatches, whose waterproof levels don’t go past the 3rd meter, the Ionic is pool-proof up to 50 meters. This makes it the most sturdy waterproof fitness tracker for swimming on the surface of the earth.
What you will love about this fitness tracker is the touch screen that activates and deactivates itself depending on where you are. When you are in swimming mode, the screen automatically deactivates itself, eliminating the chances of getting false workout stats during stroking.
The battery life isn’t as good as that of Garmin Vivofit HR fitness tracker, but it still cuts it nonetheless. The battery should last for at least 4 to 5 days.
2. FitBit Flex 2
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes. LED display lights up to show progress toward your daily goal
- Ultra-thin, removable tracker hides in bands, pendants and bangles
- Swim-proof for tracking swimming, life-proof for wear in the ocean, shower, pool and beyond
- SmartTrack automatically recognizes select workouts and records them to your Fitbit app
- Get call and text notifications on your wrist with unique vibration patterns and color-coded LED lights
FitBit Flex 2 has been dubbed a fitness tracker for casual athletes a couple of times. Yet, I think that’s some kind of a practical joke, especially given that the watch really stands out.
With all the bells and whistles that many Smartwatches on the market can only dream of, Flex 2 remains the grab-and-go wearable for everyone who’s looking for an alternative to Ionic Smartwatch.
FitBit Flex 2 is slim, lightweight, and beautiful. However, it falls flat when we factor in display, because it doesn’t have a LED screen. But, because you can connect it to the FitBit app on your smartphone, you shouldn’t worry too nearly as much about why it doesn’t have a watch face, in the first place.
However, if it were necessary that you get a FitBit watch with a watch face, the Ionic Smartwatch would still be the best option here. You can as well get fitbit for kids if you want to track activities of your children.
What makes FitBit Flex 2 suitable for swimming is the pool-proof depth. It’s not like the likes of LESTCOM and LetuFit, whose waterproof levels aren’t even known. Flex 2 goes as deep as 30 meters, making it a good choice for swimmers who love to spend a lot of time in water.
Given the depth, you could also use it for deep sea diving. It will take the hit and come out strong.
LESTCOM fitness tracker doesn’t belong in the FitBit line of products. But if you were to compare it with Flex 2, the latter doesn’t really do well in terms of battery life. Still, it can function well for five days without a single charge.
Compared to Ionic, though, the battery life is not good enough, especially because Flex 2 does not have a watch face that drains power. Still, I think the battery life of this smartwatch is at its best average.
3. FitBit Blaze Smart Fitness Watch
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
Maybe FitBit Blaze Smart Fitness Watch is something we will talk about forever. It’s always blazing with new hot features, not to mention that it is waterproof as well as affordable. Blaze wasn’t the first real smartwatch to be designed by the company, but at most it acts as both as smartwatch and a fitness tracker.
Is FitBit Blaze Waterproof?
FitBit Blaze is not waterproof. FitBit itself confirms that the device isn’t waterproof, but water-resistant. You can use this fitness tracker to swim, because it is water-resistant by up to a certain depth, usually 30 meters. However, how long the Blaze can stand against water is something FitBit hasn’t said anything about so far.
FitBit Pay is one of the coolest features of this smartwatch. With pay, you do not have to worry about bringing your phone with you to buy something during or after workout. All you have to do is feed your credit card data to the smartwatch, and then use it to make payments every time you need to purchase anything.
Besides letting make payments where necessary, FitBit Blaze also tracks most of your activities just like other activity trackers for swimming, and then it display the results on the screen. The watch can track your total steps and give an estimate of the total amount of calories burned during a workout session.
4. FitBit Versa
- Track your all-day activity, 24/7 heart rate, & sleep stages -- all with a 4+ day battery life (varies with use and other factors)
- Take your favorite music phone-free by storing 300+ songs or downloading stations from Pandora or playlists from Deezer
- Use 15+ exercise modes like Run or Swim (Fitbit Versa is water-resistant to 50 meters) to record workouts and connect to smartphone GPS for more precise real-time pace & distance
- Easily fit in workouts with personalized on-screen coaching that play on your wrist and coach you through each move
- Access your favorite apps for sports, weather & more and get call, calendar, text, and app alerts. Send quick replies to messages (Android only)
FitBit Versa isn’t as common as Ionic and Blaze. But, it’s dubbed the most pocket-friendly alternative to Apple Smartwatch. Unlike Blaze, it looks quite sizeable, and not a fitness watch that would add extra weight than necessary on your wrist.
Versa is the only FitBit for swimming on our list that features exercise modes. You get more than a dozen of them, including Run and Swim, allowing you to record workout and quantify your metrics with ease.
What we love about this smartwatch is its size. It’s smaller than all the FitBit fitness trackers on this list. Of course, that means you won’t have a hard time using it. It means you do not have to worry about extra weight, as there is none for your wrist to handle.
The whole point of including Verse in the list is the fact that it is waterproof, hence suitable for swimming. The depth is quite good, up to 50 meters, which is far much better than all the three FitBits mentioned above.
While Ionic, the Blaze, and Flex 2 are good for swimming, anyone would definitely fall off a cliff for Versa because of the 20 meters extra depth. But that wholly depends on your personal interest, anyway.