Getting your kids to run, brisk walk, keep fit and exercise has always been a daunting task. However, it does not need to be so with the best fitness tracker for kids.
Though the design and specs of the top rated activity trackers for kids might differ from those of adults, the goal is the same; to keep the user moving and active. Unlike adult activity trackers, the fitness bands for kids will provide more exciting and fun ways to motivate your young ones to stay active.
More importantly, they will allow the parent to stay up to date with their kid`s activity level.
Our Top 3 Picks of the Best Kid's Activity Trackers : In Summary
1) As parents, especially new mothers, we are overly concerned with the health and state of our toddlers. While it`s understandable to get wary over the wellbeing of your kid, you should not let them become a distracter to your daily life. The Mimo Breather is a remarkable fitness tracker that will keep you on the loop on the state of your child. The Mimo will display your kid`s breathing patterns, and alert you on any changes in their activity right on your phone, regardless of your location. So, whether you`re at work, doing laundry or taking a walk, the Mimo will keep your tabs on the state of your toddler remotely.
2) The Fitbit Ace is yet another activity tracker tailored to perform plenty of functions including tracking and measuring steps, minutes goals and sleep tracking. Featuring ten clock faces that will display time, goal progress, and more, your kid will be at liberty of choosing their favorite face display. What`s more? The Ace is showerproof, and can, therefore, stand up against puddling to lunchtime spills. To keep every step of the journey exciting, the Ace rewards your kid with celebratory messages and fun badges when they achieve their goals.
3) If your kid is a movie or cartoon enthusiast, the Garmin VivoFit jr 2 might be the ideal present. The jr 2 features colorful themed bands based on movie and cartoon characters such as Marvels, Disney, Mickie Mouse and Star Wars. The Garmin jr 2 enables your kid to stay at the top of their fitness game by making them reach the 60-minute daily activity goal.
Top Kids Fitness Trackers Reviews
1. LeapFrog LeapBand
- Experience the first activity tracker made for kids - LeapBand is fit made fun!
- Preload LeapBand with 50 active challenges that get kids moving, like - "Pounce like a lion!"
- Parent controls on LeapFrog Connect make it easy to set play times, challenges and more.
- Encourages active play, nurturing and healthy choices.
- Ages 4-7 years.
Topping on our list of the best fitness trackers for kids is the LeapFrog Leap band. Sporting an intuitive design as well as an appealing layout, the LeapFrog will nurture healthy habits and active play in your young one.
Like the adult fitness trackers, the LeapFrog LeapBand uses similar motion tracking to measure and track your kid`s activities throughout the day. However, the LeapBand doesn`t count their steps, distance or how long they have slept.
Instead, the band uses a novel concept of offering a plethora of fun physical challenges. Your kid needs to complete over 50 challenges, which include jumping, running, dancing, marching like an elephant, pouncing like a lion, wiggling like a worm or walking to earn points. With the LeapFrog, every wiggle, dance, or jump is sure to earn them points to unlock new fun rewards.
Your kid can then use the earned points to unlock virtual pets. The activity tracker will allow your little one to personalize their choice of a pet by picking from a list of 8 pets. The list of pets includes a dog, monkey, penguin, dragon, panda, unicorn, and a robot. They can choose their favorite color, and the name of their pet. For the pets to thrive, active play is of the essence, and so the LeapFrog is a remarkable motivational tool for active play.
Another major highlight of this tracker is its water resistance and parental control. The PC settings allow the guardian to control how their kid interacts with the toy, including setting appropriate play modes, challenges and more. For instance, if you activate the ‘Move' mode, the tracker will watch the track motion, while the ‘Player' mode gives your kid access to their games and challenges.
Though the LeapFrog does not track or measure any real metrics, it was designed to facilitate your kid`s physical activities in fun and imaginative ways.
However, parents will appreciate the intuitive LeapFrog app that offers comprehensive and easy to understand lessons about nutrition and health.
2. Garmin VivoFit jr 2
- Swim-friendly kids activity tracker with Star Wars theme
- Kid-tough adjustable band, Features a customizable color screen and 1+ year battery life; no recharging needed
- Syncs with free mobile app, which includes chore management and schedule alert tools for parents. Display type : Sunlight-visible, transflective 8-color memory-in-pixel (MIP)
- Kids Advance in bb-8's adventure: a Star Wars story app adventures by meeting 60-minute daily activity goals
- Tracks steps, sleep and 60 minutes of daily recommended activity
Arguably, the premier fitness tracker for kids, the second generation Garmin VivoFit teams up with your kid`s favorite movie and cartoon characters to make step counting and hitting goals more fun.
The successor to the Garmin VivoFit has two major upgrades. Unlike its predecessor, which featured a bland black and white screen, the VivoFit jr 2 sports a magnificent color screen for the first time.
The second and major upgrade is the branded artwork on the bands. The collection of colorful and inspiring themes on the VivoFit band range from characters based on Star Wars, Stretchy Avengers, Marvel, and Minnie Mouse. While not every kid will like it, a majority of the kids will find the themes appealing.
The VivoFit jr 2 will count steps, track active minutes as well as monitor your kid's sleep. This is not to mention that it comes with a generous water resistance of 5 ATM, and will similarly track their swimming.
Each of the licensed band comes with its mobile app, which allows your kid to participate in missions with both the tracker and app to achieve the goal of getting 60 minutes of activity every day. Every day, the app unfolds a new adventure, which inspires your kid to achieve their daily 60-minute activity goals.
The Star War Story app, for instance, allow your little rebel to tag alongside BB-8 and pilot Zepha as they tackle adventures on planet Jakku. Here, your little one will search the abandoned starships, meet smugglers and help in rescuing BB-8.
After hitting the activity goals, your kid is rewarded with themed fun games and story. Hitting an activity goal will equally result in the unlocking of badges and new watch faces.
Compatibility with various apps means that your kids can now engage in friendly competition in the playground and at the backyard. Challenges such as the Toe-to-To step challenge will allow your kids to sync with nearby friends for a friendly challenge.
Besides challenges, parents can use the app to set and track chores. For instance, you can either customize or use the installed core like getting dressed and brushing in the morning. And for each completed chore, your kid is rewarded with virtual coins, which they can use to redeem rewards of their choice.
Also, the phone app will allow you to track the steps your little one as a family, and see their performance progress.
What`s more? The Garmin VivoFit Jr uses a standard coin cell battery that will last up to a year without needing a replacement.
Coming from Garmin, the VivoFit jr does not sacrifice on the fitness metrics gathered or performance.
3. Fitbit Zip
The Fitbit is a simple, yet straightforward fitness tracker that will measure and count a variety of your kid`s performance metrics including steps, distance, and calories burned. The above metrics are vital in determining the health of your little one.
Besides the above metrics, the Zip will equally display time as well as the number of active minutes during the day.
Featuring a shock-proof silicone plus rubber exterior and band, the Zip is rugged, waterproof and can take a lot of "abuse" from your kid.
Though the Fitbit Zip does not offer sleep tracking or a fancy companion app work, it will still sync to many Android and iOS devices to provide you with a broader look at your performance.
Stats recorded by the Zip can be synced wirelessly to over 150 devices. Equally, it can connect wirelessly to third-party apps such as MyFitnessPal.
For the active kids who find that a wristband could get in their way in the way of everyday mischief or those who feel sheepish wearing a wrist-based tracker, the clip-on design of the Zip allows more low-key wear.
The Zip is powered by coin- cell battery, so you can expect a long lasting battery lifespan.
On the downside, however, the Fitbit Zip is only available in Charcoal and Magnets, so there are not a lot of options to choose from here.
4. iBitz Kids Activity Tracker
- Wireless Activity tracker for Kids
- Syncs wirelessly to free kids virtual pet app, steps keeps character healthy
- Secure clip for attaching to hip or shoe
- Durable and water-resistant able to withstand kids wear and tear
- Syncs to Parent's Unity App
Like the Fitbit Zip, the iBitz is not wrist-based, but instead, it features a buckle, which allows you to attach it to your kid`s shoe or garment. Though it`s slightly inconvenient given its placement, it`s a helpful tool nevertheless.
Like the adult versions, the iBitz employs the accelerometer technology to measure and track your kid`s physical activities.
All the data collected from iBitz syncs directly with the parent`s Unity app, making the device quite useful overall. Besides the display, all interactions, including gameplay, happened on the mobile device.
The rewards awarded range from coins to exclusive content through Disney`s Club Penguin. What`s more? Your kid will have the option of customizing their character as well as choosing their spacecraft, which in effect encourage more activity.
This is not to mention that the said character helps by subtly educating your kid on health re-fueling choices. For instance, the character will choose to refuel on an apple or piece or fruit instead of a piece of candy or sweet.
Additionally, the iBitz allows for parental control in various dimensions including allowing the parents to set goals, add their won real-world rewards, as well as customize screen time as well as custom adventures. Moreover, parents can set up password to restrict your kid from accessing certain sections.
IBitz Kids Activity Tracker is available in 7-kid friendly colors, is water resistant and is durable enough to withstand anything your kid throws at it.
5. Nabi Compete
- Race to the finish line with the Hot Wheels Leaderboard that takes you across epic Hot Wheels tracks while showing you where you stand against your competition. You'll learn cool Hot Wheels factoids along the way
- Learn the concept of distance such as miles as you go through various challenges. Earn medals and unlock boosts as you progress through different tracks and win challenges
- Personalize your tracker with 3 different Hot Wheels stickers
- Share your mood with fun emoticons and connect with friends through the safe social tool, nabi Friends
- With the nabi Compete Hot Wheels Edition competitive bands, physical activity is social, competitive, collaborative, and fun!
If you have multiple kids, the Nabi Compete is the perfect fitness trackers to go for.
Nabi Compete comes with two bands, which will either encourage friendly head-to-head contests or collaborative tasks. Either way, the Nabi will encourage a healthier lifestyle in your kids.
For instance, the Nabi will challenge your kids to travel the distance of a relatable landmark, like the distance to Brooklyn Bridge to earn points.
The second purpose of the tracker is to promote calorie output or choosing a food goal. Here, your boy or girl are tasked to burn off the average amount of calorie of whatever food they choose. The benefit of the food goal is that it enlightens your kid more about the concept of calories.
The reward system helps in motivating your kid for better performance. By completing each challenge and staying active, your kids are rewarded with virtual points, which are used to feed their virtual pets.
The pets are not for show, though. The pets will offer a small boost for your kid when in the middle of your challenge, like adding steps. This might provide them with a slight advantage when going on a friendly head-to-head.
The Nabi Konnect, a kid-safe social network allows the kids to share their moods and offers an option of teaming up with friends to reach a fitness goal.
Besides promoting more physical activity, the Nabi Connect will allow your kid to understand the concept of distance, see how their stack up against others, promote social interactions as well as collaboration.
6. Pard Kids Fitness Tracker
- Aluminum alloy watch frame, Combined with soft quality silicone strap make it a fashion fitness tracker, the combination of fashion and technology. USB Charging,no need charger. Perfect gift / present choice.
- Multi-sports modes. Running and cyclist modes, record time, calories, rope skipping, Sit-ups, Open and close jump and Treadmill. GPS running tracking, record duration, speed, heat, distance and trajectory.
- 24 hours heart rate monitor. Sleep monitor, records total sleep time, deep / light / awake time, set sleep preference on app setting, it will enter into sleep mode automatically at night.
- All-day Activity Tracking. Included pedometer, distance measuring, calorie counting. Auto Sleep Tracking and Alarms. Track sleep automatically at night and vibrates to wake you up in the morning, sleep data will save on the app.
- Remind you by vibration for incoming calls or messages, support APPs such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, Skype, Wechat, Email, SMS, etc. Compatibility: Bluetooth 4.0, Android 4.4 or above; iOS 8.0 or above. Download APP "Smart Wristband" from Apple Store or Google Play. It will works well with Samsung S8, S8 Edge, S7, S7 Edge, Huawei, Apple iPhone 7, 7S, 7S Plus, 6S, 6 and so on.
The Pard brand is less known. Nevertheless, the Pard Fitness Tracker, which is inclined to the health space is an interesting choice for anyone looking to monitor their kid`s physical activities.
Like the high-end fitness trackers, the Pard fitness tracker comes with basic fitness tracking specs as well as the advanced fitness tracking specs.
Some of the basic specs that the Pard can track and measure include steps taken, distance traveled, speed, duration, and trajectory.
Advanced fitness specs include sleep tracking, heart rate monitoring, and calorie counting. I addition, the Pard Kids is a multi-sport fitness tracker that can record a variety of sports including running, cycling, sprinting, rope skipping, treadmill, sit-ups, open and close jump.
Another major feature lies on its 'smartness,' i.e., the Pard offer email as well as phone connectivity.
This is not to mention that it supports a variety of social apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Skype, WeChat, WhatsApp, and Instagram. Additionally, the tracker can sync wirelessly over Bluetooth with most Androids and iOS.
Though the Pard Kids Fitness Tracker bills itself as a kid`s fitness tracker, the specs indicate that it can also double up as an adult tracker. The app can be used as a family fitness tracker app as opposed to just kids.
7. Sqord Activity Tracker
- BEST ACTIVITY TRACKER FOR KIDS. Sqord Wearable Activity Tracker motivates HEALTHY, ACTIVE PLAY through fun game app for kids, allowing them to compete and earn points for everyday healthy activities
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE - 3rd party health system study with 5th graders found that kids using Sqord INCREASED their ACTIVITY LEVELS by 55%!
- FUN FOR KIDS AND FAMILIES- Sqord Activity Tracker tracks ALL activity and free Sqord Game App converts that play into Activity Points, unlocking rewards and features, encouraging healthy active play
- kidSAFE-CERTIFIED - Sqord is safe for kids! kidSAFE-CERTIFIED means no bullying, no open chat, no strangers or safety risks. Parental controls over child's account and 100% age-appropriate content
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE, NO CHARGING - Sqord is waterproof and even tracks pool activity. 9 months battery life without any charging, replace standard watch battery after 9 months!
Many people tend to think of the Sqord as a simple step-counter. While its core principle is based on step-counting, it also doubles up as a fitness tracker that will propel active play by allowing your kids to compete and earn points by doing the everyday healthy activities.
The Sqord will track all your kid`s movement and later convert them into virtual rewards inside the cleverly designed smartphone app.
Like the Nabi Connect, the app on Sqord will also allow your kids to participate in a weekly leaderboard and head-to-head challenges with friends.
Again, like the Nabi, the Sqord app also allows parents to customize the settings including setting goals for their children inside the app as well as creating awards for accomplishing the goals.
The Sqord is waterproof, meaning that your kid can go swimming without taking it off. More importantly is the fact that it can convert those water balloon fights or swim movements into rewards inside the app.
The Sqord has been tried and tested on various fronts, and studies indicate that previous inactive 5th graders increased their activity levels by 55% using Sqord.
The Sqord offers a remarkable way to get your kid focusing their energy on healthy activating. Owing to its proven record at promoting increased activity levels, the Sqord Activity Tracker is a great product as well as a great idea.
8. Mimo Breathing Smart
- REAL-TIME BREATHING - See your baby's breathing while they'e sleeping, right on your phone, no matter where you are. Mimo's proprietary technology picks up even the most subtle rise and fall of your baby's chest, allowing you to know how she's breathing, whether you're in the next room, or across the world.
- ALERTS YOU OF CHANGES IN YOUR BABY'S BREATHING AND ACTIVITY - Get customizable breathing, body position, temperature, and wake//sleep alerts, right to your phone, so you know what's happening in the nursery.
- ACCESS FROM ANYWHERE - Whether you're in the next room, at the office, or out to dinner, see your baby's activity, sleep history, and sleep activity, at any moment, all from the technology in your pocket.
- HEAR YOUR BABY - stream audio from the nursery, right on your phone, from anywhere.
- MIMO IS MADE IN THE USA - we're headquartered in Boston, our materials come from New England, and we ship out of Southern New Hampshire.
Are you worried your baby is sleeping okay? Are you worried they are too warm? Have they woken up?
Parents are always tempted to check on your little ones at all time and wondering how your child is sleeping- and it`s quite understandable.
With the Mimo, however, you can now check on your baby anywhere, whether at the nursery or home, at the comfort of your office desk, training session or couch.
Using proprietary low-frequency Bluetooth technology, you can monitor and see your baby`s real-time breathing while they are at sleep right on your phone. Mimo`s proprietary technology will pick even subtler rise and fall of your baby`s chest, therefore proving you with accurate data regarding their breathing.
In case of any changes in your baby`s breathing pattern or activity, the Mimo will relay an alert right to your phone.
With the Mimo, you can customize a variety of activities to suit your baby`s temperament including breathing, body position, temperature, wake/sleep alerts so that you can always be on the loop on what`s happening on your baby.
The Mimo is, however ideal for 0-3 months’ babies.
9. Fitbit Ace
- Tracks steps, active minutes and sleep and shows stats on a bright, tap display
- Rewards kids for hitting goals with celebratory messages and achievement badges. Kids can challenge others to step competitions plus send each other messages or cheers
- A showerproof tracker that survives splashes and spills with a secure, adjustable wristband for growing kids (one size) and Fits a wrist between 5.0 and 6.1 inches (125 mm - 155 mm) in circumference
- Syncs stats wirelessly and automatically to iOS & Android devices and has a battery life up to 5 days (varies with use and other factors)
- In the Fitbit app, parents create an account for their child under a family account (family account and parental consent required for children 12 and under)
Announced alongside the FitBit Versa, the Ace prides itself as the very first fitness tracker for kids.
Design-wise, the Ace is similar to the Fitbit Alta, save for the smaller band that will compensate for the small kid size wrists.
The Ace sports an all-new feature set designed specifically for kids of age eight and above. The Ace can monitor and track a gamut of metrics including steps, active minutes, and sleep stats. The Ace even goes an extra mile of allowing you to customize daily step and active minute goals.
A major highlight of the Ace is the 128 by 36-pixel resolution OLED display that will allow your kid to see their progress in real time. A simple tap changes the screen to any of the ten digital watch faces. And when your kid achieves their target or goal, the tracker dishes out rewards for moving with celebratory messages and un, collectible badges.
The Ace has also introduced new competitions in the Fitbit app that will allow kids and the rest of the family members to compete against each other to achieve certain step goals.
The new family account on the Ace allows parents to keep a closer eye on their activity, progress, and friend requests. The family account allows the parent to safeguard their kid`s activity and stay on top of their activity.
The battery on the FitBit Ace lasts well, averaging at 5 days of continuous use. Though it`s the ace is not waterproof, it`s showerproof and can survive short dunks in water.
10. VTech Kidizoom
- Two cameras allow you to take video and selfies that can be customized and made into new watch faces
- Helps kids learn to tell time and has 55 digital and analog clock faces that they can customize
- New Monster Catcher game creates an augmented reality gaming experience where you can capture monsters in the real world
- Includes a motion sensor for active play challenges and a pedometer
- Using the included Micro-USB cable, upload photos and videos, recharge the battery and download extra free content like games and seasonal clock faces from VTech's Learning Lodge. Kidizoom Smartwatch DX2 is intended for ages 4 to 12 years.
Though the VTech is not a dedicated smartwatch, its smartwatch capabilities topple it fitness tracking capabilities. The VTech also functions as a pedometer as well as a smartphone.
Sporting a sleek and stylish design, the DX2 features 55 digital and analog customizable watch faces. Additionally, it has two cameras that will allow your kid to capture everything from action videos to selfies. Your kids will even be able to customize the pictures into watch faces trough the accompanying smartphone app.
Smarts aside, the VTech is designed to keep your child engaged and entertained throughout the day. The Kidzoom comes with plenty of activity challenges installed to allow athletic performance.
The Racing Challenge, for instance, uses a stopwatch to test how fast your kid can run from one point to the other.
Besides the challenges, this tracker also features motion-controlled games that will get your kid moving by triggering sound effects when they move around to keep their activities un and engaging.
The Monster Catcher Game, for instance, uses augmented reality to help your kid capture monsters in the real world. The game offers an excellent way for your kid to get outside and run around.
Though the VTech Kidizoom DX2 does capture actual metrics, it`s a great way to motivate your kid to get active.
Indeed, it`s never too late to get your kid on the move. Now that you have several choices to go over, choose the best fitness tracker that has all the right characteristics you`re looking to promote a healthy lifestyle for your kids.
Remember that the fitness tracker is just but a tool, and you should, therefore, take part in your child`s activities and have fun with them. The tracker alone will not give your child a new and healthier lifestyle. It will require patience and work from you and your kid.