Fitness trackers are now a dime a dozen. There are so many brands, and a variation of options. From FitBit and Garmin to LetuFit and LETSCOME, the fitness wearable market has an activity monitor for everyone – at least they claim. And, with each brand paying more attention on getting everyone active, there is no barrier to who can use these devices to quantify their fitness metrics.
Let’s agree on one thing, though:
Finding the best fitness tracker with heart rate monitor isn’t easy. The presence of multiple brands in the growing fitness market simply makes it impossible to pick a heart rate activity tracker right off the bat. But we wrote this review to help you find a fitness and activity tracker of your choice with ease.
We have put together top fitness trackers that have the best heart rate monitors and activity trackers. Of course, not all of them will likely be your cup of coffee, but they cut it in their functions nonetheless.
1) Garmin vívosport Smart Activity Tracker
- Work out inside, or use built-in GPS to accurately track activities outside
- Includes fitness monitoring tools such as Vo2 Max and fitness made estimates. Physical size : Width: 0.83 inches,Thickness:0.423 inches
- All-day stress tracking helps you stay in touch with your body's response to potential stressors. Connectivity : bluetooth smart and ANT+
- Features always-on color Garmin chroma display and slim profile. Display size: 0.38 x 0.76 inches
- Get connected features such as smart notifications, Live Track and more
The Garmin Vivosport is a follow-up to the Garmin Vivosmart HR+, only that it comes with a more fun design, alongside a new color touchscreen display and a wellness monitoring function.
Equally, you can also consider this new model as an amalgamation of the Vivosport HR+ and Vivosmart 3. This is because it combines the functions of the Vivosmart 3 and those of Vivosmart HR+ to bring a feature-rich and exciting piece.
The Vivosport is an entry-level model that packs plenty of features to cater to every need of your health.
Though it packs loads of health-inspiring features, it comes with a modest and easy-to-use design. The fitness band is compact and elegant enough to suit any occasion. The softer stretchy material provides a cushy and clasps feel for the ultimate experience.
Navigating the band is easier as it gets; there are no buttons as navigation is done by tapping, swiping, or holding the screen.
The fitness tracker comes with a unique color display, which is visible even in direct sunlight exposure without the need of using the backlight function. The color displays on this device provide detailed and explicit data.
With regards to performance, this device does not skimp either. It provides you with plenty of performance-oriented features with minimal bulk.
Similar to the Vivosmart 3, this new device features a strength training feature, where the band is supposedly going to track your reps, sets, and rest times. Aside from tracking your movements, the strength training feature can automatically recognize the exercises you are doing.
Beyond the strength training feature, this device comes with a wellness monitoring, built-in running, and cardio applications to make you aware of your physical and emotional sources of stress and its level.
The band uses it`s accelerometer and heart rate monitor to track your heart rate variability (HRV) to calculate and show your stress levels.
The best part of using this device is that you get accurate statistics regarding distance, speed, rate, and pace with the Vivosport as opposed to Vivosport 3+, thanks to the built-in GPS function.
And if you have a phone with you, the LiveTracking function allows others to track your progress from any synced electronic device.
Aside from the GPS mode, what many users love about this product is the 7 days' battery life and water-proof nature of the fitness tracker.
2) Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro Smart Fitness Band
- Water-resistant up to fifty meters, now you can own the pool, run in the rain and recover in the shower
- Power through intervals to the beat of your favorite tracks with music storage on your Gear Fit2 Pro
- Boost every session with fitness apps powered by Under Armour. Count every mile on Map MyRun, and stay on top of your nutrition with MyFitnessPal
- Get a more accurate view of your performance and all-day calorie burn with continuous heart rate monitoring
- Compatible with Android and iOS smartphones (compatible with select Bluetooth capable smartphones using Android OS 4.4 and later with at least 1.5GB RAM as well as iPhone 5 and later with iOS 9.0 and above. Refer user manual for troubleshooting instructions. Not all features available with iOS paired smartphones. Gear Fit2 Pro supported smartphones may vary by carrier and device. For a list of compatible smartphones and features, please visit Samsung.com. For best results, connect with compatible Samsung Galaxy smartphones.)
Undoubtedly, the Gear Fit2 Pro offers everything you need to plan and stay on top of your fitness goals including swimming capabilities, responsive screen, distance tracking, among many other others.
The Fit2 Pro is a slight upgrade to its predecessor, the Gear Fit2, and this is perhaps the biggest blow to this upgrade. This is because the new model has only taken incremental steps towards improving what the Fit2 had to offer.
However, it`s not much of a deal breaker. Even the slightest step-ups such as continuous heart rate tracking, greater water depth resistance, and an upgraded and sleek wristband that hosts a buckle clasp can make a huge difference. Right?
The Fit2 Pro is an upgrade of the Fit2, and it is inadvertently impossible to review the latter without comparing to the Fit2.
Some of the distinct similarities of the two include a similar processor, same battery (200mAh) size, and the slightly upgraded 1.5 inch Super AMOLED touchscreen that fluidly merges with the rest of the tracker.
The signature feature of the Fit2 Pro however, is the swim-proof technology. Unlike its predecessor, the Fit2 Pro has a water resistance rating of up to 50 Meters. With this rating, you no longer have to take your fitness band when taking a shower, swimming or walking in the rain.
Unlike its predecessor, this new edition comes with a standalone music function. This music function allows you to power through intervals, while listening to your favorite tracks via your Bluetooth headphones. More importantly, the standalone music function allows you to download music from Spotify and save them onto your device to play without needing your phone.
The tracker comes pre-installed with a gamut of health-inspiring apps which help in making things easier to get started. The MapMyRun app, for instance, helps you in counting every mile, while the MyFitnessPalm, tracks your nutrition.
Similarly, the built-in GPS offers a fantastic and easy way to track your health and fitness stats in real time by allowing you to capture and credits every mile and activity you do.
With regards to performance, many fitness enthusiasts love the continuous heart rate tracking, which allows them to record more detailed and precise stats of their performance. Equally, the continuous heart rate monitoring allows you to get an all-day calorie burn.
Other remarkable features of this fitness band include compatibility with both Android and iOS, a bright display screen for clear and detailed readings, and chic band.
3) Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker
- Clip-on tracker, tracks steps taken, calories burned and distance travelled
- Rain, splash and sweat-proof
- Runs off a replaceable watch battery (included) - lasts approx 6 months
- Syncs wirelessly and automatically with PCs, Macs, lots of iOS devices and some Android phones
- Perfect gift or present for your Dad Auntie Uncle Niece Nephew Brother Sister Boyfriend Husband Wife Teenagers
The Fitbit Zip is the new kid in the Fitbit line of collection. This new edition also happens to be an affordable option and the least expensive Fitbit activity tracker.
The Fitbit Zip comes with a simple and straightforward design. Three of the major milestones that you are set to achieve using this tracker is tracking your steps, tracking your nutrition intake and tracking the number of calories burnt.
Under the metallic/silicone hood is an accelerometer that logs step and distance you cover more accurately than a traditional pedometer.
The Zip sports a pebble-shaped orientation, which is opposed to the traditional FitBit rectangular shape. This model easily clips onto your clothes, allowing you to wear it whenever you want, except your wrists. As it follows, the Zip is super light, and compact, that you cannot even feel it when wearing it on.
Like all the best fitness trackers, the Fitbit Zip is devoid of buttons, and instead, it features a dime-sized display screen. The screen allows you to toggle between steps, distance, calories burned, clock and wellness meter.
A selling feature of this device is the auto-syncing feature, which allows you to pair your fitness tracker to your phone or laptop. In fact, this modest device is among the selected devices which support (Smart) Bluetooth 4.0.
Another major highlight of this device is that it does not need frequent charging. The tracker uses a traditional coin battery that can last up to six months before recharging.
Though it`s not backlit, it features a cool LCD screen display that highlights all your stats.
While the Fitbit Zip is not ideal for the multi-sport fitness enthusiasts who need a tracker with GPS, music or email function, it is a simple and affordably-priced model for the simple runners.
4) Misfit Ray - Fitness + Sleep Tracker with Black Sport Band
- Vibration alerts for call and text notifications, movement reminders, and alarms
- Smart button enabled to control connected household devices
- Swim proof, anodized aluminum cylinder with multicolor LED progress display
- Automatically tracks steps, distance, calories, and light and heavy sleep
- Non-charging, replaceable batteries last up to 6 months
If you love discreteness in your fitness regime, then you will also love the Misfit Ray. The Misfit Ray is more than just an activity tracker: it comes with a sleek cylindrical fitness band, which makes it double up as a chic bracelet.
The anodizing aluminum cylinder used to craft the Ray, plays host to a multi-color LED progressive display and discreet 8-mm spring bars. The hidden spring bars allow you to wear the band in a variety of ways including as a standalone fitness tracker, or place it as an accessory to your favorite watch, necklace or bracelet.
This magical ring, however, is rich with features that will help you realize your fitness and nutritional goals. The primary function of the Misfit Ray is to track your steps, calories, and distance covered. Also, it tracks your fitness activities such as running, cycling, swimming or jogging.
A major highlight of this device is that it comes with a sleep tracker. The sleep tracking function records how much sleep you are getting and then breaks down this information into light and deep sleep results.
In the same breath, the sleep tracking function allows you to set sleep goals and alarms, which is handy in ensuring that you get the proper amount of rest your body needs.
Like the best activity trackers, the Misfit Ray is water-resistant and swim-proof, allowing you to dive into depths of up to 50 meters. The waterproof nature allows you to wear the device 24/7 allowing you to get a comprehensive picture of your activities.
The Ray is more than just a fitness tracker; it also doubles up as a smart device, which allows you to set vibration alerts for calls, alarms, personal notification, movement reminders, among others.
A highlight of the Smart function is that it allows you to pair with other smart devices, and even control them from your wrist.
This device is versatile at the very least and is compatible with a plethora of other platforms such as Apple, Samsung, Google, Apple, and Android. The compatibility function allows you to pair the tracker with any device and see your results on the screen size of your option.
This activity band sync with several fitness and health apps, including customization apps.
5) Fitbit Charge 2 Heart Rate + Fitness Wristband
- PurePulse continuous, automatic wrist-based heart rate tracking to better measure calorie burn all day
- Maximize your workouts using simplified heart rate zones (Fat Burn, Cardio and Peak)
- See call, text & calendar notifications on the OLED display; Automatically track how long and how well you sleep and wake with a silent vibrating alarm
- Get a better understanding of your fitness level and see how you can improve over time with a personalized Cardio Fitness Score; Use Connected GPS during run mode to see real-time stats like pace and distance on your wrist
- Track all-day activity like steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes;Find moments of calm throughout your day with personalized guided breathing sessions based on your heart rate, Like all heart rate tracking technologies, accuracy is affected by physiology, location of device, and different movements.
The Charge 2 is an upgrade of the infamous Charge HR, and it does not fail to deliver. The Charge 2, which debuted in 2016, has all it takes to deliver incredible fitness results.
One of the distinctive contrast between Fitbit Charge 2 and the original Charge and Charge HR is the interchangeable bands. Rather than getting stuck with the band that came with the original device, you can change the bands as frequently as you wish for a fresh and exciting look every day.
With regards to performance, this wristband packs plenty of excellent features, which will maximize your workout regime.
For instance, the patented PurePulse continuous heart rate is quite handy in tracking your calorie burn and maximizing your workouts, without the need to using an uncomfortable chest strap. On the other hand, the track resting heart rate allows you to track your resting heart rate 24/7.
Besides tracking your heart rate, this device tracks all your activities including the number of steps, distance covered, active minutes, and even the number of floors you have climbed
The Relax feature allows you to enjoy moments of calm through personalized guide breathing sessions, simulated according to your heart rate.
Also, you will appreciate the syncing function of the device, which allows you to import and export data to your favorite devices. The band can sync with Android, Apple, and Windows.
The device is easy to use, and it features a large display OLED screen where users can read the push notifications, calls, fitness data, time, date among other.
Some of the major drawbacks of this device are the lack of GPS tracking and lack of waterproofing.
6) Fitbit Alta Fitness Tracker
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Battery life up to 5 days (varies with use and other factors)
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarmAutomatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance when phone is nearby
This is yet another awesome product from Fitbit. It promises plenty of new and exciting features, which are going to make your path to health and wellness easier and worthwhile.
The Alta is the go-to device for the fitness enthusiasts who are looking to reap the immense benefits that a smartwatch offers without a large footprint.
The Fitbit Alta is an iteration of the Fitbit Zip, we have reviewed above, and its design is inspired by trendy fitness bands making their way into the market. So, yes, it`s quite chic and classy. But does the aesthetic appeal a compromise over functionality?
Like the best fitness band, this band strikes a balance to both the needs of the entry-level and the hardcore users, with a dead-simple user interface devoid of buttons, and incredible week-long battery life.
The SmartTrack function is a supremely fantastic exercise recognition feature, which allows you to track or rather monitor your steps, distances covered, active minutes and calories burned.
Alongside the SmartTrack function is the Sleep function which automatically tracks how long and how well you sleep. The sleep function also comes with a vibrating alarm that will go off at a predetermined period to ensure that you achieve a healthy sleep regime.
Topping the module is rectangular OLED display, which puts on a no-frills, bi-colored visual representation of your fitness stats.
Why we love this band is that it`s customizable, allowing even the fashionistas to track their fitness in style. The device allows you to personalize the interchangeable band with metal, leather and classic bands.
7) Fitbit Flex 2
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes. LED display lights up to show progress toward your daily goal
- Ultra-thin, removable tracker hides in bands, pendants and bangles
- Swim-proof for tracking swimming, life-proof for wear in the ocean, shower, pool and beyond
- SmartTrack automatically recognizes select workouts and records them to your Fitbit app
- Get call and text notifications on your wrist with unique vibration patterns and color-coded LED lights
The Fitbit, a predecessor to the Fitbit Flex 2, sat at the entry-level end of FitBit`s product range. The original piece was relatively discreet and did the basics of activity and sleep tracking, but offered little beyond that.
For its update the Fitbit Flex 2, however, you can expect greater improvements and new features including adding waterproofing, ability to customize the band, and the addition of some rudimentary smartphone notifications.
The signature feature of the Flex 2 is the slim design. Users love the slim design and simple, easy-to-master design of the user interface.
This waterproof device is an all-day activity bar that is useful for tracking your activities including your steps, distance covered, calories burned and active minutes.
While the band does not come with some sophisticated features such as the GPS tracking or heart rate monitoring, it has some advanced features such as the sleep tracking feature. The sleep functions monitor how long you sleep and the quality of your sleep. Also, it comes with a "sleep goal" option which allows you to set the number of hours you want to sleep.
The Reminder to Move is another advanced feature, which works by keeping you active and always on the move. This feature alerts you through a magenta light and vibration if you are not active for the last 50 minutes.
One of the awesome features of this band is its ability to automatically recognize and record your workout program and import them on the Fitbit App. The app is a cornerstone of this band since the VivoFit Flex 2 does not feature a display.
The app allows you to view your workout progress, access your stats from your favorite device, track and record changes in your body weight, record your water intake throughout the day among other features.
8) Garmin vívofit 2 Activity Tracker
- Move bar w/audible alert - Reminds you to stay active throughout the day by displaying a red move bar and sounding an alert after one hour of inactivity. Additional segments lightup for every 15 minutes of inactivity. Walk for a couple of minutes to reset.
- BACKLIT DISPLAY - The display is always on so you won't miss a beat. Turn on the backlight to see your stats, even in the dark.
- ACTIVITY TIMER - Record activities with or without a heart rate monitor. Water rating:5 ATM. Display resolution : Segmented LCD. Sleep monitoring (monitors total sleep and periods of movement or restful sleep)
- 1 + year battery life - vίvofit 2 stays on for more than a year without having to change the battery, so you don't have to worry about recharging.
- Auto Sync - vίvofit 2 automatically syncs with paired mobile devices at strategic times throughout the day, such as when a goal is met or when several steps have been taken since the last sync.
The Vivofit 2 is Garmin`s 2nd generation Vivofit, ad it incorporates several significant updates to both design and functionality.
Considering the activity band is water-resistant, you can now make every second and every activity you undertake count. Aside from the water-resistance, the battery comes with a year-long battery lifespan.
The main essence of this activity bar is to motivate you to keep moving. The VivoFit activity bar comes with a moving bar w/audible alert. The bar keeps you active throughout the day by alerting you through a red bar and sound if you after an hour of inactivity.
Equally, the VivoFit 2 similarly offer a standard tracking you would expect from any fitness tracker. With this tracker, you can track your steps, estimated calories burned, and distance traveled.
A major highlight of activity tracking on this band is that you can set activity goals too. The band shows how steps or distance you have left before hitting your goal, and this has an impact on helping you reach your goals.
The VivoFit 2 does not provide a heart rate on its own. However, if you purchase the band as a bundle with Garmin heart rate monitor (ANT + compatible chest strap), you can easily pair the two devices and view the heart rate data.
Another awesome capability of the band is the sleep tracking function, which monitors your total sleep and periods of movements or restful sleep.
Like most smart devices, this band automatically syncs wirelessly with your paired mobile, but it only does so when you achieve target or milestone. Otherwise, you can only force a sync by holding down the button on the device while within 10 feet of your phone.
In the same breath, the band has the capability of connecting to Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect is a free online portal where users can track their progress. Here, for instance, users can pair with useful apps such as myFitness Pal, which allows you to see all the calories burned.
When it comes to design, you will love the comfortable strap, and easy to switch out bands to suit your taste.